Rediscover the Gallery after dark with the Mix - a vibrant, changing calendar of special events combining people and art with music, great food, beer and wine, pop-up talks and demonstrations, debates, films and live performances.
Design your own evening adventure at the next edition of the Mix - (Un)Familiar Forms!
- Explore our incredible exhibition Len Lye: Stopped Short By Wonder after dark.
- Help create a giant city in our foyer with our Imagination Playground as we get out both sets for you to get creative with.
- Check out a pop-up talk with some of New Zealand's most interesting designers and architects including: Dr Kevin Scally, founder of Number Eight Enterprises a research and development company focused on sustainable shelter; co-founder, designer and maker for the global open Wikihouse movement and Christchurch-based social enterprise Space Craft Systems (SCS) Martin Luff; Experience Awesomist/Christchurch Ambassador Erica Austin (Ministry of Awesome, TEDxChristchurch, Te Pūtahi - Christchurch centre for architecture and city-making); architect and 'intrapreneur' Camia Young (Development Manager at Development Christchurch Limited - DCL, Director of Ohu and Exchange Christchurch - XCHC); architectural historian Dr Jessica Halliday (Director of Te Pūtahi - Christchurch centre for architecture and city-making and Festival of Transitional Architecture) and designer Craig Scott (Head of Design Otago Museum, Dunedin Host for The Design Kids).
- Watch a screening of Ever the Land (an awarding winning documentary that tracks the birth of New Zealand’s first ‘living building' and details how the building connects the Tūhoe Māori tribe to the land).
- Join in on a late night tour and get the low down on our new exhibitions from one of our knowledgable volunteer guides.
- Hit up the pop-up bar for a glass of something from Three Boys Brewery, Greystone Wines and Karma Cola or get ready for summer with a gin and tonic.
- Eat something delicious from some of Christchurch's best food trucks including the incredible Vagabond Chefs, Arin Sushi and Dumplings and Utopia Hot!
A musical treat is coming your way! Rosehill College students are coming to perform around the South Island, starting in Christchurch.
London's hottest chefs are coming to town – and you're invited to dinner!
Rediscover the Gallery after dark with the Mix – a vibrant, changing calendar of special events combining people and art with music, great food, beer and wine, pop-up talks and demonstrations, debates, films and live performances.
In early March we were lucky enough to have the incredibly talented Grayson Gilmour performing at the Gallery, supported by the equally talented Purple Pilgrims and New Dawn. I love these gigs, but there is a lot of work to be done behind the scenes to make sure that, by the time the public walk in the door, the foyer is gig ready. The process normally feels like a long, slow marathon with a sprint at the final corner. So here’s a guide to how you too can get the NZI Foyer gig-ready in five (or six) easy steps.