- Dame Louise Henderson Collection presented by the McKegg Family, 1999
- Oil on canvas board
- 544 x 651mm
- View on google maps
Louise Henderson was born Louise Etiennette Sidonie Sauze in Paris in 1902. After studying embroidery design in her late teens, she worked in this field for several years while also writing for textile and interior decoration journals. In 1925, she moved to Christchurch with her New Zealand-born husband, and the following year she began teaching needlework and design at the Canterbury College School of Art. Henderson brought a fresh influence and energy to Christchurch art circles, distinguishing herself at first in local exhibitions with her fine embroidery designs. Before long she was also prolific in showing her landscape paintings, which, like this lyrical view of Te Whakaraupō / Lyttelton Harbour, were appreciated for their harmonious colour and feeling for rhythmic pattern and form.
(Te Wheke, 2020)