Rediscover the Gallery after dark with the Mix – a vibrant changing calendar of special events combining people and art with music, great food, beer and wine, pop-up talks and demonstrations, debates, films and live performances.
Spend a FREE high-octane evening celebrating local landscapes and the incredible individuals who get amongst them in search of Big Adventures at our second Mix of 2017!
- A chat with some of the team from Mons Royale about how they work hard, play hard and continue to be inspired by New Zealand’s incredible landscapes while they’re out there doing it. Anna Smoothy (Mons Royale Team Liaison/Freeskier) will talk us through the brand’s journey from Lake Wanaka to the world.
- Anna will be joined by Fraser McDougal (Freeskier/Engineer/Pilot/Mons Royale Athlete) and Sam Smoothy (NZ’s most successful freeride athlete) to discuss their part in the Mons Royale journey, as well as some of the incredible adventures they have pioneered across the globe.
- A special screening of Muscle and Dreams (by West Coast Film) a documentary following a keen group of enthusiasts as they transform an idea for a gold miners road from the 1800s into New Zealand’s longest continuous single-track (great for hikers and mountain bikers alike!)
- Talks by the incredible Hollie Woodhouse (Say Yes to Adventure Magazine, The Adventurous Kiwi and ultramarathon runner), and Liz Carlson (Wanaka-based travel blogger and expert adventurer Young Adventuress) on some of their most amazing adventures.
- A landscape themed late night tour.
- Local food trucks, with Yealands Family Wines and Three Boys Brewery on the bar.
6pm – 9pm Food Truck and Pop Up Bar
6:30pm Hollie Woodhouse talk, Philip Carter Family Auditorium
7pm Liz Carlson talk Philip Carter Family Auditorium
7:15pm Big Landscapes - Late Night Gallery Tour, Meet at Front Desk
7:30pm Muscle and Dreams – Creating the Old Ghost Road (26 mins), Philip Carter Family Auditorium
8pm Mons Royale with Sam Smoothy and Fraser McDougall, Philip Carter Family Auditorium
To celebrate International Women's Day, join curator Felicity Milburn as she discusses The Portobello Settee, a recently acquired work by Jacqueline Fahey currently on display in her exhibition, Say Something!
Join volunteer guide John O'Brien as he discusses Rosalie Gascoigne's Big Yellow (1988) in Yellow Moon: He Marama Kowhai on the first floor.
Yoga for children inspired by our family show Yellow Moon and led by local yoga instructor Kotte. Using imagination and creativity, this class is designed to bring body awareness to children, helping them release stress and still their minds.
For our first ArtBite of the new year, join volunteer guide Barry Allom as he discusses Mark Braunias's Children's Charter outside our Education Centre on the ground floor.
Head to the Gallery on Waitangi Day to help create a giant interactive three-dimensional artwork with New Zealand artist Peter Trevelyan.
Join the Gallery curators for this one-off tour of their personal highlights of the collection favourites in Closer: Old Favourites, New Stories
London's hottest chefs are coming to town – and you're invited to dinner!
Take a free guided tour of our collection highlights with one of our friendly, knowledgeable guides.
This year’s weekly ArtBite programme is about to start! From Friday 10 February, we will again offer a weekly presentation of a work on display here at Te Puna o Waiwhetu. The aim of these 30-minute talks is to give you an art break in the middle of your day. We know you’re busy, so this isn’t a long lecture meant to take up too much of your time. And they’re free. With a new work presented each Friday at 12.30pm, the information will be fresh so you can impress your friends during your weekend socialising.
The annual exhibition of Muka Studio lithographs by international artists especially for kids is back!
Take a free guided tour of our exhibition highlights with one of our friendly, knowledgeable guides.
A free, guided art tour especially for parents with babies. Buggies welcome.