- Oil on canvas
- Gifted by the family of Mary and Arthur Prior, 2017
- Reproduced courtesy of Colin McCahon Research and Publication Trust
- 1020 x 968mm
Colin McCahon lived and painted in Christchurch between 1948 and 1953. During this time he completed several paintings based on the hills and plain of the Canterbury region. His painting became progressively more abstracted during 1952 and 1953. This painting is thought to have been inspired by Christchurch’s Port Hills, which were in close proximity to the McCahon family home at Barbour Street in Waltham. Arthur Prior was a lecturer and later a professor at the University of Canterbury and acquired this work from McCahon around the time it was painted. It has recently returned to Christchurch having been presented to the Gallery by the family of Arthur and his wife Mary.