- Presented by Mrs M Trail, 1969
- 353 x 515mm
- View on google maps
Charles Barraud visited the Maori pa at Lake Horowhenua, a freshwater coastal lake near present-day Levin, in 1864. A London-born pharmacist, Barraud arrived in New Zealand with his family in 1849 and established a chemist shop in Lambton Quay, Wellington. As his business prospered, he travelled throughout New Zealand to sketch and paint.
Barraud’s watercolour record of the Muaupoko iwi settlement at the edge of the lake includes a prominently positioned pataka (storehouse), painted with kura (natural red earth pigment). Lake Horowhenua was once a treasured source of food (mainly eels, whitebait, flounder and shellfish) for its Maori owners.